Residents to prosecute ex-Mayor Lutfur Rahman privately after police drop investigation

Lutfur Rahman
Next step: Residents are seeking to privately prosecute the disgraced former Tower Hamlets Mayor Lutfur Rahman

Two residents have said they will take former Tower Hamlets Mayor Lutfur Rahman to court after police dropped an investigation into possible criminal wrongdoing by the disgraced politician and other election officials.

The Metropolitan Police stopped their investigation into Mr Rahman’s 2014 re-election earlier this month due to “insufficient evidence that criminal offences had been committed”.

But community activists Angela Moffatt and Cathy Holmes, who live on the Isle of Dogs, have announced they will be seeking a private prosecution of Mr Rahman, calling the police’s decision “disgusting”.

Ms Moffatt said she believes an investigation could unearth more about what went on during Mr Rahman’s time as Mayor.

“The people of Tower Hamlets deserve better,” she said. “We are not stopping until we get to the whole truth.”

Ms Moffatt is one of the four petitioners who took Mr Rahman’s electoral activities to the High Court in 2015, which found him guilty of “corrupt and illegal practices”, declared the 2014 election void and banned Mr Rahman from public office for five years.

Mr Rahman has since filed for bankruptcy and could be struck of as a lawyer.

Ms Holmes, a florist who says she has personally suffered because of corruption in Tower Hamlets, said: “I’m not going to just walk away and let them get away with it.”

The pair said they will be talking to lawyers and are appealing to Tower Hamlets residents for support.

Mr Rahman has maintained his innocence on all charges.

1 Comment

  1. Morris Hickey on Wednesday 30 March 2016 at 3:38 pm

    And if residents win they should then sue Met Police for dereliction of duty.



Comments

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: